Portland Investment Counsel Inc. has the following opportunity:
Perform legal work relating to funds and clients assets managed by Portland Investment Counsel Inc. (“Portland”).
- Prepare, review and participate in the negotiation of legal documents involved in venture capital and private equity transactions, in a timely manner. This includes the coordination and supervision of the legal work performed by approved external legal counsels worldwide.
- Coordinate and participate in the drafting of the legal documents related to fund formation for both open and closed end funds including mutual funds, liquid alternative funds, private debt and private equity, venture capital and single asset investment vehicles, in a manner that ensures compliance and mitigates regulatory risks.
- Assist in the review of investor communications and responses to investor inquiries.
- Ensure that all dealings and business practices of Portland are made in compliance with Portland’s governing legislation, regulations and policies.
- Assist in the preparation of committee meetings, resolutions and related documentation and in the setup of companies relating to funds including General Partners and formation of limited partnerships.
- Coordinate work with other departments including Portfolio Management, Compliance, Fund Reporting and Oversight, Fund Administration and Oversight as well as with Portland’s law clerk.
- Other duties as required.
- Business Acumen - Develops new programs or approaches to align the business strategy with the external environment
- Conceptual Thinking - Clarifies complex data or situations
- Expertise - Advocates use of the most effective application of content area knowledge within the organization
- Flexibility - Decides how to do something based on the situation
- Impact and Influence - Uses indirect influence
- Information Seeking - Sets up individuals to do regular, ongoing information gathering for him or for her
- Relationship Building - Creates opportunities to initiate relationships
- Self-Confidence - Takes on challenges
- A University degree in Law
- Member of the Bar Association of any of the Canadian provinces or territories.
- Between 6 to 12 years of experience as a lawyer in securities, corporate or commercial law gained in private practice or as in-house counsel for a large organization in the financial services industry
- Bilingualism, French/English (oral and written skills) nice to have
Qualified applicants should email resumes along with a cover letter to email@example.com.
We thank all applicants in advance, however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
At Portland Investment Counsel Inc., we support diversity and equity. We strive to provide a workplace that is recognized as inclusive for all, regardless of ethnic origin, nationality, language, religious beliefs, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability.
We respect the dignity and independence of persons with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. If contacted for an interview, please inform us should any accommodation be required.